Labor Practice

What to Expect at a PERC Hearing

A hearing is a legal process in which state law gives an opportunity for parties to present facts to an examiner. The examiner is neutral and acts as a decision maker. The examiner follows the Administrative Procedure Act, chapter 34.05 RCW. Parties must present evidence to the examiner through testimony of witnesses and exhibits (documents) regarding the alleged violations.

Parties will each have an opportunity to examine and cross-examine (ask questions to) all witnesses. At the end of the hearing the examiner will schedule the filing of written closing briefs. A written closing brief is a written statement that explains what facts the party believes were proved at the hearing and the claims/arguments being made by that party, as well as responses to the claims/arguments made by the opposing party.

Settlement without a Hearing

Hiring an Attorney

Court Reporter

Evidence (Exhibits/Testimony)


Closing Briefs


How Do I...

Contact PERC                           >


File a Case or Document       >


Request Training                     >


Make a Records Request       >


Search Decisions                     >


Latest Announcements         >


Not a Public Employee?

Not Represented by a Union?

Private Sector Employee

​National Labor Relations Board at 206.220.6300 or nlrb.gov

Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service at 206.553.5800 or fmcs.gov

Discrimination Complaints

Human Rights Commission at 800.233.3247 or hum.wa.gov

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at 800.669.4000 or eeoc.gov

Employment Standards/Workplace Rights

Department of Labor and Industries at 866.219.7321 or lni.wa.gov

Translate »
Scroll Up